Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jesus' Example

Another precious bit of encouragement God's given me in His word:





In Luke 9 we read about Jesus sending out the disciples to preach the gospel (having given them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases). Picking up in vs. 10 & 11,





"On their return the apostles told him all that they had done. And he took them and withdrew apart to a town called Bethsaida. When the crowds learned it, they followed him, and he welcomed them and spoke to them of the kingdom of God and cured those who had need of healing."





As a follower of Jesus (and as a mom), I find such an example to follow here. I'm sure that Jesus and His disciples were looking forward to being alone and having some uninterrupted time. How often do I have the same types of desires, my own plans for a moment. However, when the crowd followed, Jesus welcomed them and taught them and met their needs. When my girls were little, I often was followed no matter where I went. (I tease saying that in our house a closed door is simply a door waiting to be opened.) :) No matter where I went, even the restroom, it often seemed someone needed me. I remember at that time, reading the above passage and receiving such encouragement. No matter where Jesus went, someone needed Him. And how did He respond? He welcomed them. He taught them. He met their needs. As His follower, how can I do less? (Of course this requires walking in the Spirit and putting it in His hands. In the flesh and in my hands, I'm a mess and feel sorry for those around me!) :)

I'm so thankful for Jesus' example and His empowering Holy Spirit working in us!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

It seems that I needed this little reminder today! :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

So true! I loved your insight today!

Sometimes I just cry out, "Can't I just pee in peace?"!!!!!!!! It is so sad! LOL!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

So true! I loved your insight today!

Sometimes I just cry out, "Can't I just pee in peace?"!!!!!!!! It is so sad! LOL!

Tina said...

That's funny, Stacie. I had the same type of thought in mind when God first showed this to me! :)
So good to hear from both of you, Stacie and Jennifer. :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Our MOPS devotion last night was EXACTLY this topic! You just confirmed it in my spirit. I need to remember this!

Tina said...

Jackie,
God's timing is incredible! That's amazing that the MOPS meeting topic was the same. He is so good to give us an example and then enable us to follow it.
Great to hear from you! :)

Unknown said...

Greetings,
If you're interested in homeschooling, courtship, quiverfull issues, child-raising, politics, and spiritual inspiration, try a free, no obligation issue of SALT Magazine. If you haven't tried SALT yet, all we need is a name and mailing address to send you a free issue. Or, you can check out our website (saltmagazine.com) and sign up for a free issue online.
- In the Vine, Jim & Cindy