Friday, June 8, 2012

Aha Moment!

Yesterday, while I was sorting through my closet, I had the chance to listen to a CD our local homeschooling group purchased from the Teach Them Diligently Conference I attended last spring.
The CD was by Kristi Collins, of http://www.searchforbiblicaltruths.com/parents.html .  This talk , “Can God Really Use MY Family?” blew me away!!!!
Through the years, I’ve sought God’s guidance as I homeschool our children.  I absolutely love homeschooling and am so thankful that I have this wonderful opportunity to teach our children in this way.  I also have seen how God has guided me to teach them and approach this time of discipleship and teaching differently than I’d envisioned when I began homeschooling.
Before our oldest was born, I taught 2nd grade for a year and loved it.  I knew that I wanted to homeschool, but assumed it would look like what I did in the classroom (just on a smaller scale and at home).  Through God’s providence the first homeschool event I attended (when my oldest was the grand old age of barely 5) was a workshop by Mary Hood entitled “Relaxed Homeschooling.”  I figured that since she was barely 5, maybe the copycat school thing could wait until she was 6 or so. :)
Meanwhile, God’s lead me down a very different path.  I would say our style is very eclectic, a little of this and a little of that depending on the learning style of the child, their bend, and how God’s directing us that year.
I have noticed that as the girls have gotten older, my oldest is turning 18 in the fall and will “graduate” next year, I’ve felt the pressure of trying to make their schooling look like the traditional (read:everyone else) so they’ll be ready for college.  (Now, to be honest, I don’t see college as grades 13-16.  I know that God has college plans for some and other alternatives for others.  I just want them prepared for where ever God leads.)
Enter “the talk”. :) As I mentioned, I do try to seek God’s guidance on what to teach the girls and what materials to use.  I even last month asked the girls to make for me a list of things they are interested in or want to learn before they leave home so that we can work on it.  However, I’m embarrassed to admit that it never occurred to me to involve the girls in seeking God’s direction in this area.  Kristi challenged us to have the children also pray asking God what He’d have them learn.  (Then listen to what He’s telling them.)  This way, they can learn, while they’re at home, that God does direct in our everyday life.  They can grow in their personal relationships with Him as they see Him direct and lead.  WOW!  Never had I thought to do that.  (Another box I was in that I didn’t see.)
Also, as Kristi shared, the idea opened up for me of not using the "high school" years to study for college, but for life.  She and her daughter are both seeking God and doing what God’s calling her to do (for her this involves political campaigning, speaking, etc.).  If God calls her to college, she’ll be prepared. (Please know, i'm not saying to not be prepared for college. I'm saying seek God's direction on how He wants each child prepared for life. He'll take care of the details. I don't need to make them the focus.) ;) 
The challenge I heard whispered to me: prepare them for life as God directs.  (This will be college for some.  If so, as we seek God’s direction,  He’ll make sure that they’re prepared for that.)  It’s a matter of putting the focus on God and His direction rather than the status quo.
A little more box opening for me: we (not just me, but Ryan, the girls, and I) need to seek God’s guidance for what the girls need to learn.  He know His plans for them.   He knows what experiences they need and what knowledge they need to gain.  Why should I take the world’s ideas on what they need for training so that they’ll look like everyone else, instead of seeking God’s guidance in equipping them for their unique calling?
What a blessing and challenge!  Definitely can’t do it without God.  (Really can’t do anything without abiding in Him, but how often I forget that and go into autopilot.)
May you blessed this day as you seek His guidance for you! :)

6 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so glad I visited your blog today, Tina! I was completely inspired by this and spent some time praying and brainstorming with Josiah this morning about some of the things he wanted to learn about.

Here is his list:
Creation Science
Sea Life
The Bible

I can handle that! I was so excited to see what was on his heart. I asked him to be more specific about the bible and he said he likes us going through it chapter by chapter, but he wants to read some then let me read, kind of a back and forth things. No problem! Then I asked him if he would want to memorize the book of James with me and he said yes! So we, started on the first verse, before I know it, I bet the kid will be caught up with me, LOL! Oh you have been used by God today through this post and I thank you for it!

Connie said...

My homeschooling years are over, but my daughter had individual lunches with each child this week to discuss the coming school year with her. They gave specific input to their individual interests. One grand-daughter loves extremely difficult English - the other grand-daughter would rather ignore school! Always good for Mommy to know these things :)

Monty and Mari Beth said...

Thanks for the reminder! It is so easy to just be and do like everyone else! I also believe we have a God who interacts with us all and guides us if we just take the time to listen to Him! Teaching our kids to listen to God is so important!

Anna Naomi said...

Great post! I like the emphasis on using high school to prepare for life, not college. I had a good experience doing this... did the academics needed, for sure, but my parents also gave me freedom to read things that interested me, start teaching dance, and take lessons (voice, piano, etc.) that helped broaden my horizons and have helped in various ways. Seeking God for His guidance - and involving the girls in this - is exciting! The neat thing is, everyone is different, and the beauty of homeschooling is that you have freedom to gear them up for the different things God is calling them to!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

This is such a good post!

Camille said...

I was digging around in my old posts and found a comment there from you. It led me back to your blog...so, this is a very late comment on this post!! But, I do want you to know Tina, that this post was a blessing to my heart today as we begin this new school year. Thank you for taking the time to share your heart!

Blessings to you!
Camille