Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Where's Our Focus?

I just finished reading Job and thought I'd "talk out loud" sharing some of what God is showing me. :) May it bless you as it's blessed me.

I tend to have a problem with focusing on myself and whatever's going on with me. I may not appear to be a selfish person on the outside but, there it is, it's true. For example, right now my husband and I are working through some things, trying to make some decisions, and I can get very preoccupied. Now mind you, we're seeking God's guidance, praying a lot, asking Him and just bringing it before Him trying to do what He desires. So, it looks like I'm doing right yet still, I realize, I'm focusing on (the thing that's going on with) me.

As I was finishing up reading Job, I saw a connection. Job had gone through a lot (understatement) and he was trying to figure out what was going on and why God had allowed it. He was keeping God in the picture but the focus was on himself and what he was going through. Toward the end of the book, God spoke with Job and reminded Job of who He is! He is amazing and way beyond us. He created the world, is very involved with His creation, and is so far beyond us that we really can't understand it all (this side of heaven). When we truly look at God and who He is, we realize how insignificant we are. Job saw this when he answered God saying "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5-6)

The most amazing thing is that, even though we are so very insignificant in comparison to God, He loves us with an amazing love. He knows us better than we know ourselves, even knows the number of hairs on our heads, and loves us. (I often am amazed that He knows me that well and loves me anyway!) :) How amazing to realize that the author of creation, King of all kings, has invited us to approach Him as His beloved children. That Jesus died for our sins because He desired us to be with Him forever. What an amazing love - God is indescribable.

Application to myself, I need to get my eyes of myself and put them on God. I need to pay attention to where I put my focus. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..." (Psalm 111:10)

Lord, open our eyes to focus on you rather than ourselves. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

2 comments:

Monty and Mari Beth said...

So true!! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Muthering Heights said...

Great observation...thank you for pointing that out! :D