Friday, June 5, 2009

More Eccesiastes Thoughts - Contentment

Well, I dropped the ball on sharing some neat thoughts from Ecclesiastes last week. Thought I'd try to catch up now. (Don't you just love God's Word? I do! It's so very practical to our daily lives. How precious that He continually shares with us from His Word.) :)

Please know, I'm not sharing because I have it all figured out. I'm simply sharing with you from my journal what God used to encourage me and my prayer is that He may use it encourage one of you also.

One prominent theme that jumped out at me as I read through the book was contentment.

Ecclesiastes 2:24A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God,

Ecclesiastes 3:13That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

Ecclesiastes 5:18Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him—for this is his lot.

Time and again we find, in the book of Ecclesiastes, that it's best that we eat, drink and find satisfaction in the daily lives that God has blessed us with. I think it's so easy to try to look for the next big thing. Today's Friday - yeah, the weekend's coming - a break from work. Breaks from work are great - that's why God commanded us to rest on the Sabbath. He knows we need it. However, he also told us to make in our "ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands" 1 Thessalonians 4:11. I truly believe that He's pleased if we approach the work God's given us in our daily lives as a gift from Him and strive to find satisfaction in His plans for our lives today - not just approaching it as something to get done with so we can rest. (Reminds me of Paul telling us he's learned the secret to being content in all circumstances - Philippians 4:11-12.)

Ecclesiastes 4:5-6 (New International Version)
5 The fool folds his hands and ruins himself. 6 Better one handful with tranquillity than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind.

Contentment is better than covetousness - always wanting more.


Ecclesiastes 5:10 (New International Version)
10 Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.

Ecclesiastes 5:12 (New International Version)
12 The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep.

Ecclesiastes 5:19-20 (New International Version)
19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God. 20 He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

love of money = discontentment/never satisfied/loss of sleep

contentment/accepting where God's put us and what He's given us to do (and deciding to enjoy His plans for us at this point) - a gift of God (As I've heard it said "Don't do what you enjoy, but rather enjoy what you do.")

May God bless you all today and throughout the weekend.

No comments: