Thursday, June 11, 2009

Secret Believers



I wanted to share with you another book that I'm currently reading.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I've been reading Brother Andrew's books: God's Smuggler, Lightforce, and now Secret Believers.

Secret Believers is a story about what's going on now over in the middle east as Muslim's are coming to Christ. It's based on many different true stories but, as a way of protecting these people and still getting the message out to the western church, the names have been changed and it's set in an unnamed country. The events though have taken place (and, I'm sure, events just like it are taking place now).

It's truly been a convicting, eye opening book. To be honest, I easily get my eyes focused on myself and forget how blessed I am and how I need to be praying for my persecuted brothers and sisters around the world. A few quotes from Brother Andrew in the book are amazing:

"The work of the church is not survival. She exists to fulfill the Great Commission. Her work is making disciples of all nations."

And when speaking to a Christian in the middle east about reaching out in Jesus' name in a country where that's a dangerous thing to do:

"Of course, it's dangerous, but it's a lot more dangerous for all of us if we don't do it. Even in a conquering army there are casualties. Safety is not the issue when we look at the Great Commission. The purpose of the church cannot be to survive or even to thrive, but to serve. How do you serve?" (After a pause) "Sometimes servants die in the serving."

"Remember, you aren't doing this alone. The Holy Spirit is with you. He will guide you. He will raise up others in the country to work with you."

"If you obey God, He will provide all that you need to do His work."

Brother Andrew was talking to a native who had a chance to live in "safety" in England but, rather, chose to obey God to return to his country and strengthen the persecuted church there. God has not called me, at this point, to live under such circumstances. I do know, however, that He has called me to pray for my brothers and sisters in such difficult circumstances and not to focus on myself and forget them. He's called me to support them in whatever way He leads. May He give me His eyes!

He also calls me to serve Him right here where I am. How often am I silent (or self-focused)rather than taking the opportunity to be His light wherever He leads me (around my neighbors, other shoppers in Walmart, my own family!). He has such a wonderful plan for each of us and is so sweet to work in our lives. (I know He could do whatever He wants with or without me. How wonderful that my Father and Savior chooses to use me and you too - if I'll/we'll just make myself/ourselves available.)

I especially love the last quote above, "If you obey God, He will provide all that you need to do His work." As a wife and mother as I go about what God has called me to do, it's so important that I remember that He will provide me with all I need to do His work (and raising the next generation is, most assuredly, His work). May He receive all the glory!!!

No comments: