Monday, July 13, 2009

Missionary Geography Club

I've had some inquiries into our missionary geography club, so I thought I'd share with you what we do.


For a few years, we've hosted monthly club meetings for our homeschool community. It began when I read some of the Christian Heroes Then and Now series of books published by YWAM http://www.worldchristian.com/booksearch.asp?keyword=christian+heroes+Then . (These were scheduled in My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures http://www.mfwbooks.com/ecc_2nd.htm .) As a family we read these biographies as read alouds. The next year I offered to coordinate a missionary geography club for other homeschoolers. I presented the missionaries and (countries where they ministered) that I'd read about the year before.


Basically I read a missionary biography and then present the information to the group. (I like to tell stories, so I pretty much cover the material that way.) Normally we find the geographic places on a map and also try to have a game from that country for the kids to play at the end. Some times we have handouts with information from that country (language, money, customs, etc.) and/or info about the missionary for the kids to take home.

As I've alluded, my favorite series of missionary biographies are the Christian Heroes Then and Now Series. I have, however, used others (such as Corrie Ten Boom's books when we covered her and God's Smuggler when we covered Brother Andrew).


The year normally is scheduled as follows: Sept., Oct., Jan., Mar., and April we cover a different missionary each month. Nov. we volunteer to help with an Operation Christmas Child gathering station. Dec. we have a Christmas Around the World party. (Each family chooses an area of the world to research and present how Christmas is celebrated in that location. They also bring a treat representing Christmas in that country). In Feb. we have a missionary visiting my church's mission conference speak to the group. In May the kids present to the group which missionary they most enjoyed learning about and what they most remembered.

Hope that helps give you an idea what we do. Feel free to ask any questions.

No comments: