Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Better Than IHOP :)

At least that was the comment from a young friend of ours who had spent the night and enjoyed these great pancakes for breakfast. (I laughed to myself knowing that he had no idea that these were actually good for him too.) :)

Our family loves these pancakes. I got the recipe from Urban Homemaker http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/ - one of my favorite sources of great recipes.


BLENDER BATTER WAFFLES OR PANCAKES

1. Preheat waffle iron or pancake griddle to highest temperature.

2. Place in blender and blend at high speed for4-5 minutes or until smooth:
1 3/4 Cups buttermilk
1 egg
2 TB olive oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 TB honey
1/3 Cup raw brown rice
1/2 Cup pastry wheat or kamut (I use hard white wheat - use the berries, not the flour)
1/2 Cup rolled oats
The secret to getting light and tender waffles is the thinness of the batter. The batter should always swirl about a vortex in the blender. If not, add a little liquid until the hole reappears. This is very important.


Be sure to blend an entire 5 minutes. Once I stopped blending in less than 5 minutes and we had chunky pancakes. :)

3. Blend in briefly just before baking:
1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder (non-aluminum)


4. Pour thin batter from blender onto seasoned, hot waffle iron or pancake griddle sprayed with olive oil non-stick spray. Bake about 4 minutes. Don't Peek!
I normally use this batter to make pancakes. I sprinkle on extras while they're cooking - chocolate chips, pecans, and blueberries and pecans - that way everyone gets what they like.
Yum!!!!


















3 comments:

Kelsianne said...

Thank-you for the recipe!
If you have time, I'd love it if you check out my blog! :)
Kelsey

Monty and Mari Beth said...

Yummy! I'm so glad that you are using your grinder! That is awesome! Thanks for you and Katie's comments! You guys make my day or should I say ya'll make my day! LOL

Connie said...

These sound really good.