Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Raising Maidens of Virtue


At bedtimes I'm reading through Raising Maidens of Virtue (A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters) with my girls. (I started to try to go through this with just my older two, but found it hard to find time to do this without including the little sisters. It works for our family to do it out loud and discuss it together. I just skim over anything that's not quite appropriate for the littlest and hope to discuss more detail with my older ones - but I'm sure they read between the lines.)
In any case, last night we read Chapter 3 - A Noble Calling. It was an excerpt of From Dark to Dawn. I found the last paragraph to be so full of wisdom that I wanted to share it with you all:

"And so I learned that what makes any calling noble is its being commanded by God, and what makes anything good is its being given by God; and that honest contenetment consists not in persuading oursleves that our things are the very best int he world, but in believeing they are the best for us, and giving God thanks for them."

Wow - what an encouragement for myself and to share with my girls. Not only looking at my calling as a wife and mother as noble BECAUSE it's been given to me by God. And also, not comparing for a sense of pride but appreciating our callings because they are God given.

4 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

This is a good book! I'm glad you can go through it with your girls. It is special for them, I'm sure.

I enjoy following your blog!

Katie said...

I'm loving that book!

Kelsianne said...

My mom and I are going through this book together and I highly reccomend it! It is a wonderful book! (I love the cover as well) :)

Connie said...

Sounds like a good book - might recommend it to my daughter for her girls.